If you love art, make sure you visit the St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts. The Museum of Fine Arts features works from across the world and spanning more than 5,000 years of history. Don’t miss out on this comprehensive collection of art history!
The museum’s permanent collection includes works from an extensive array of locations, eras, and media. Browse beautiful 2,300-year old Greek ceramic vases, 400-year old Dutch paintings, and even modern-era American photography all in one convenient location. The gallery features works by some true giants of the art world, such as Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Gauguin, and many more. If you’d like to sort through the different genres on display, you can visit their MFA Collection page (scroll down to the bottom to view a breakdown of their works by category).
In addition to its permanent collection, the Museum of Fine Arts also offers exhibits. Past exhibits included Monet to Matisse (an exhibition featuring paintings from several centuries comparing interpretations of France’s Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts), Picturing a New Society (a photographic exhibition looking at life in the 1920s – 1980s Soviet Union), Story and Symbol (a painting exhibition featuring Dutch and Flemish painters), and many, many more.
At present, the Museum is hosting the following exhibitions:
- Vantage Points – Paintings by Mernet Larson
- Journeys out of the Body – Shana Moulton
- What the Eye Can’t See – Harold Edgerton
Upcoming exhibitions include From the Heart: Folk Art on Paper, Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art, The Far North: Inuit Prints and Sculpture, and The Open Road: Photography and the American Road Trip.
You can learn more about past, present, and future exhibitions on the museum’s Exhibitions page.
If you’re still in the art-viewing mood, you have several other great options in St. Petersburg.
- The Dali Museum features works by famed Catalan artist Salvador Dali. The Dali Museum features over 2,100 of Dali’s works, such as oil paintings, original drawings, prints, sculptures, photos, manuscripts, and more. Additionally, it’s housed in a building as beautiful and easily-distinguishable as Dali’s works. If you love his paintings, you don’t want to miss out on this tremendous experience! If you visit their website, you can view their collection and their current and upcoming
- You can learn more here: See Surrealist Masterpieces at the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg
- Petersburg also plays host to the Morean Arts Center. The Morean features works in a wide variety of media. Want to see beautiful, handblown glass masterpieces? Stop in and see the Chihuly Collection. Looking to view gorgeous pottery? Visit the Morean Arts Center for Clay. Additionally, the Morean hosts classes and workshops in a variety of styles. You can learn more about educational opportunities on their Workshops page.
And if you’re coming to see some of St. Petersburg’s stunning artwork, be sure to book at your stay at the Historic Peninsula Inn. The inn offers a variety of beautiful accommodations perfect for single travelers on a business strip, a romantic getaway, or even a family vacation to beautiful Old Florida. Come see why our visitors rave about their visits!
And whatever you do, don’t forget to download our free Gulfport Vacation Guide! The guide gives you an insider look at our beautiful and lively little town. We hope to see you soon!