The St. Petersburg Clay Company (also known as the Morean Center for Clay) further cements St. Petersburg’s status as a city dedicated to the arts. The Clay Company is located in an old train depot at 420 22nd Street, and is one of the largest working potteries in the southeastern United States.
Love art? St. Petersburg and Gulfport have more than enough to fill your vacation itinerary! Download a copy of our FREE Gulfport Vacation Guide to learn more.
What You’ll Find In the St. Petersburg Clay Company Studio
- Friday Night Clay: Enjoy a 2-hour course in wheel throwing or hand-building your clay masterpiece. Bring a towel, your favorite beverage, and your sense of humor! Classes take place on Friday nights, from 7-9 p.m. The cost is $25, and pre-registration is required.
- Clay Friends and Fun: This 2-hour class serves as an introduction to wheel throwing. It’s a great experience for families or small groups of friends. You can schedule these to fit your availability. The cost is $100 for up to 4 people, and $25 for each additional person.
- Sundays @ The Morean: This family-friendly art class is largely targeted toward children aged 5-15, although they request the families stay and work with their children. These are held on Sundays from 1 – 3 p.m.
- Florida Heat Woodfire, January 3 – 10: Have you already created high fire bisqueware the needs time in a wood-fired kiln? Bring it! The Morean is firing up their anagama kiln, and workshop participants will take part in loading, firing, and unloading it. There will also be demonstrations and lectures on the subject by John Balistreri, Chris Gustin and Matt Long.
- 4th Annual Florida Heat: Surface Design 2017, February 8 – 11: Come join nationally-recognized artists as they demonstrate how they design their beautiful pottery surfaces. The cost is $350 for the whole workshop, or $150 per day.
- Current: Sue Tirrell is exhibiting her beautiful, colorful animal-centric ceramic pottery. This exhibition ends on November 30th. The Clay Company is also currently hosting the solo works of Beth Morean. Her Color My World exhibition runs until January 31.
- Future: The St. Petersburg Clay Company is scheduled to host an exhibition of wood-fired ceramics, which will be juried by Matt Schiemann. This exhibition will run from December 10 – January 31.
After A Trip to the Clay Center
After a fun trip to the St. Petersburg Clay Center, head back to the Historic Peninsula Inn for a delicious meal at Isabelle’s. Isabelle’s, if you’re unaware, is our multi-award winning restaurant (Rand McNally’s “Best of the Beaches” and “Best of the Road” awards). It specializes in scrumptious Southern cuisine, and offers live music four nights per week. If that sounds like your cup of tea, check out the menu. We hope you’ll stop by for dinner and a drink!
And after that delicious meal, return to your beautiful room here at the Historic Peninsula Inn and drop into a soft bed. The inn offers accommodations to suit the needs of almost every traveler, from the solo businessperson, to the couple on a romantic holiday, to the family of four touring Old Florida. We hope you’ll join us for a fun vacation in a gorgeous setting!
To make the most of your vacation, be sure to download our FREE Gulfport Vacation Guide! It’s chock-full of insider tips which can make your vacation truly memorable!