It’s a fact: the more lively and outgoing a senior is, the higher their quality of life. Human beings are social creatures, which is a trait that never goes away. That’s why we love the Gulfport Senior Center. The Senior Center offers a huge variety of social activities guaranteed to keep you or your loved one mentally, physically, and socially active! If you’re heading down this way to stay with us, we encourage you to drop by!
If you’re looking for sun, fun, and friendly people, be sure to check out our FREE Gulfport Vacation Guide! It’s full of useful knowledge so you can make the most of your Gulfport vacation!
Let’s take a look at some of the Senior Center’s activities:
Gulfport Senior Center Activities
- FUNdamentals of Watercolor – Tuesdays, 10 a.m.
- Open Art Studio – Mondays, 2 p.m.; Wednesdays, 1 p.m.
- Open Art Workshop – Thursdays, 9 a.m.
- Dance Fusion – Monday, 9:30 a.m.; Thursday, 10:30 a.m.
- Italian Folk Dancers – Thursdays, 7:30 p.m.
- Line Dancing (Beginners) – Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m.
- Line Dancing (Intermediate) – Fridays, 10:30 a.m.
- Language Learning
- Italian – Thursdays, 6 and 7 p.m.
- Spanish I – Thursdays, 10:30 a.m.
- Spanish II – Thursdays, 9:30 a.m.
- Strength Training & Aerobics – Mondays & Thursdays, 1 p.m.
- Tai Chi – Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9 a.m.
- Tai Chi for Seniors – Tuesdays & Thursdays, 10 a.m.
- Yoga – Wednesdays, 10 a.m.
- Yoga (chair) – Mondays & Fridays, 11 a.m.
- Bingo – Fridays, 1 p.m.
- Board Games: Mondays, 1:00 p.m.
- Bridge: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 1:30 p.m.
- Canasta: Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m.
- Chat Room: Fridays, 1:30 p.m.
- Euchre: Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m.
- Pinochle: Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m.
- Super Savers – Coupon Club: Fridays, 11:30 a.m.
- Wii Bowling (Competitive Team): Thursdays, 1:00 p.m.
The Gulfport Senior Center also hosts a variety of instructional classes, teaching participants:
- AARP Safe Driving Class: 1st & 2nd Tuesday, 1:00 p.m.
- Bridge 101: Mondays, 9:00 a.m.
- Coffee Club (Investment Group): 1st Tuesday, 10:00 a.m.
- Computer Round-Table Discussion: Tuesdays, 2:00 p.m.
- Tech Talk (iPad): 3rd Wednesday, 2:00 p.m.
- Health Talk w/ Humana (Healthy Brain): 3rd Monday, 10:30 a.m.
- Investment Discussion: Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m.
- Mah-Jongg Instruction: Mondays, 12:00 p.m.
In short, there’s a huge variety of fun and instructional activities available at the center. They also offer medical services and legal services, if needed. Visit the Gulfport Senior Center website to learn more.
After a Fun Activity (or Activities) at the Senior Center
After you’ve spent a few hours playing games, dancing, or learning a language, why not head out and explore some of the area’s many art institutions? Nearby St. Petersburg offers a diverse selection of art from all across the globe. If you love painting, head to the Salvador Dali Museum or the St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts for a few hours. The Dali Museum hosts the largest collection of Dali’s works outside of Europe. The Museum of Fine Arts hosts paintings, but also drawing, clay, prints, sculptures, and more. We urge you to keep and eye on their Upcoming Exhibitions page.
Glass is another major attraction in St. Petersburg. The Chihuly Collection hosts an array of dazzling glass sculptures, including a 20-foot piece created especially for the museum. If you love ornate, out-of-this-world glass creations, don’t miss it!
Following a fun day of art and social activities, return to the Historic Peninsula Inn for a delicious dinner at our award-winning restaurant, Isabelle’s. Isabelle’s offers delicious New Southern cuisine, as well as live music 4 nights per week. Stop on by for a drink and a great meal!
And after topping off your fun day with a delicious meal, drop into a comfortable bed here at the Historic Peninsula Inn. We offer a variety of accommodations, perfect for everyone from the solo business traveler, to the couple on a romantic getaway, to the family of four enjoying Old Florida. We look forward to seeing you soon!
If you haven’t already, be sure to get a copy of your FREE Gulfport Vacation Guide! The guide is chock-full of insider information so you can make the most of your Gulfport vacation!